My first post in January was to lay out my goals for the month and what actions I was going to take to meet those goals. It’s time to see how I did and then set up the goals for February. I had some great wins and some big fails in January which makes it interesting to hold myself publicly accountable.
Here are the results!
January Goals Recap
1. Double my pageviews from 1,678 in December to 3,356
Result: Achieved! 3,786 pageviews in January!
Doing 1 Guest PostI did a guest post on Inman that did great and brought me a lot of traffic! Sending new post alerts to my current emails subscribersSent new post updates every Monday & Thursday to my email list. Posting consistently on social mediaI posted every business day without fail in January. This includes days I was out of town or home with sick kids. I’m proud of this one because it was HARD to do!
- Improve linking between all of my posts: This one is a draw for me. I was good at this on some posts and forgot to do it on others. I need to up my game on that this month.
2. Add 30 new email subscribers to my email list
Result: Achieved! I had 37 subscribers and 4 that unsubscribed which nets me 33.
Create custom landing page for Inman readers that read my guest postsThis went live on January 5th!
- Promote list on social media: Fail. I hated my opt in and until that was changed I wasn’t comfortable promoting it.
Ask current subscribers to forward my emails to their real estate colleaguesYup, put a PS at the bottom of every email asking agents to forward my emails or share on social media.
- Contact past clients and ask them to join my list: Fail. Completely forgot to do this until the end of the month. Then I got tied up in deadlines for other projects and I ran out of time.
- Schedule contact for 1 week in advance: Fail. Nope didn’t plan ahead at all!
- Creating a consistent editorial calendar: Fail see point one!
Using photos to increase engagement: I used photos for my blog posts, tips and quotes. So thankful for ShareAsImages! Engage with my friends and followers: I think I did a good job!
4. One hour daily blog education
Result: Complete Fail. I think I did this for a total of 90 minutes in January. This one bugs me. A lot.
I am starting Ruth Soukup’s Elite Blog Academy today. My goal is to complete 4 modules by February 2nd.
5. 30 minutes a day working on new opt-in offer
Result: Mixed. I finished my opt in offer but I mostly did it in a day and a half at the end of January. And I switched the topic from email marketing to millennial marketing. I finished it but I didn’t work on it everyday.
Currently working on an idea for a complete real estate email marketing guide. Need to flesh out the idea, create an outline, the guide, tools and bonuses.
6. 15 minutes a day working on new email newsletter
Result: Achieved! I had this up and running the first week in January. I am excited about this as I have already gotten three great testimonials about my email newsletter! I am sharing special tips only for email subscribers and that has been fun. (Join here if you haven’t!)
I want to create a useful email newsletter with content that is exclusive to those on my list. My current thought is to showcase tools or ideas that will make agent’s lives easier. Need to work on this idea and research good examples.
Wrote these posts:
- 12 Website Mistakes That Make You Look Unprofessional
- 11 Tips to Get the Real Estate Website You’ve Always Wanted
- 12 Ideas for Marketing an Open House
3 personal posts (ended up writing 4!)
Wrote these posts:
- Can’t Keep Up? 5 Ways to Simplify Meeting Your Goals
- The Funk (and what to do about it)
- Let’s Help Each Other
- Is Real Estate Only About More Sales?
- 1 goal setting & recap: This post!
1 guest post6 things millennials need from a Realtor
Stats for January
|Returning Visitor %||41.26%||34.72%|
What I Learned in January
I learned that I don’t have to post a new blog post every single day. My pageviews were lower in both November and December when I posted every day. I now believe that it is better to post seven really great posts than it is to post 30 mediocre posts every month.
I learned that consistency with posting on social media does payoff! I was worried sometimes that I would bug people but instead I have gained followers and likes. I am doing something right there! I also know I need an editorial calendar asap for my social media posts. Otherwise I am looking back to make sure that I haven’t shared the same blog posts over and over. That calendar is a work in progress.
I learned that if you really want someone to give you their email you had better give them something that is worth their while in return. I had someone send me a mean email telling me my other opt in was terrible and that he was unsubscribing. He was right although he could have been nicer! If I couldn’t promote my opt in on social media it was obvious that I was embarrassed by it. Glad that’s fixed!
I learned that getting up early is the key to my success. I read The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod and started my miracle mornings in the middle of January. It has been amazing to start my day with intent! I am getting so much more done and I fall asleep easily at night. I am an insomniac so that alone has been life changing!
I learned that I really need to up my game with my marketing posts. I think they are good, but I know I can do better. I know I need to do more research. I have plans in the works to make things even better. I am excited about this!
I learned that you really have to care about your audience so you can write for them. Or at least I do. I wrote some pretty personal stuff this month and it was all because I wanted to help someone else. I hope I did that. Sometimes I feel bad doing these personal posts on a marketing website, but I think they go hand in hand. You can’t be out there being a rock star agent unless your head and heart are in order too.
I learned that I can check my daily pageviews during the same day and I don’t have to wait until midnight to see how many people have visited that day. It has been a blessing and a curse! 😉
I learned that I have to be more realistic with my time. Or I always knew that but it was good to see it in living proof. My husband is always after me for putting to many to-dos on my daily list. I see his point now. (Just don’t tell him!)
I learned that when something I write makes a difference in someone’s life that I am blown away. And I am humbled to the tips of my being.
I learned that Facebook ads might work. I did a Facebook ad for my post The Funk and had 80 new visitors. I think if I would have done one more marketing related it would have been higher.
1. Double my pageviews from 3,786 in January to 7,572.
- Do 2 Guest Posts
- Continue to send new post alerts to my current emails subscribers
- Post consistently on social media
- Improve linking between all of my posts
2. Add 50 new email subscribers to my email list
- Create custom landing page dedicated to signing up for my email list
- Promote list on social media
- Add list sign up to my Twitter profile, MIFA Facebook page and LinkedIn
- Ask current subscribers to forward my emails to their real estate colleagues
- Contact past clients and ask them to join my list
- Schedule contact for 1 week in advance
- Creating a consistent editorial calendar
- Using photos to increase engagement
- Engage with my friends and followers
4. 90 minutes of blog education a week.
I am not sure how long each module from Elite Blog Academy will take me. My goal for this month is to at least just get traction on this.
5. Get better with SEO
- Research keywords and put them in posts
- Fill out meta data and keywords for every post
- Upload Twitter and Facebook specific photos for each post
- Learn more about SEO basics to improve my rankings
- 3 marketing posts
- 4 personal posts
- 1 goal setting & recap
- 2 guest posts (One is in the works at Inman and is being published tomorrow!)
Stay tuned for an update on how February went for me plus marketing ideas that I have used that will help you meet your goals!
Do you set goals yearly and break them down daily and monthly? Do you need help with accountability? Tell me about your goals in the comments below and let’s check in together in a month!