*This post contains affiliate links
The closing gift. It’s hard to find just the right gift isn’t it? You want it to be unique, not take a lot of work and you really don’t want it to cost you a small fortune. While clients don’t expect a closing gift, it is a nice touch at the end of your transaction and a great way to end it on a high note!
Are you stuck for good ideas for real estate closing gifts? Here are 11 ideas that your clients and your bank account are sure to love!
1. Moving Day Survival Kit
Everyone has those essentials they need the day they move. Typically the list looks like this:
Basically everything in the cleaning and eating department goes into the Moving Day Survival Kit. What about adding a couple of unique items? A few ideas include:
- Really big black garbage bags. There is so much garbage those first few days of moving and it is easy to go through the typical kitchen garbage bag like a kid goes through Halloween candy.
- Pair of Scissors. It never fails that moving day requires a pair of scissors on more than one occasion and yet those are packed far away in an unknown box.
- Deodorant. Moving can be a stinky job! The deodorant is who knows where so having some extra around is not a bad idea!
- Snacks: Usually there is little to no food in the new house except take out pizza so add some almonds or other healthy snacks to the moving basket.
- Sponges: People don’t move sponges but these are among the first items desperately needed when moving into a new house.
Think outside of the box when it comes to moving and what homeowners really need on that day. To make it less expensive for you, check out your local dollar store or Amazon for supplies. To make it easier on you, buy these items in bulk so you aren’t scrambling to buy the items the night before (or day of!) closing. To add a personal (and marketing!) touch, make it look pretty, include a nice card and your business cards. Chances are friends or family are helping the new homeowners and they may be in need of your services too!
2. Relaxation Kit
Moving is stressful and it is hard work! Put together a relaxation kit for your clients that will help them put their feet up after they are moved in.
- Bubble bath or bath salts
- Movie rental gift card or free streaming movie service for a month
- Bottle of wine or 6 pack of a craft beer
- Magazines or a good book
- Tea with custom mugs
Include anything that would inspire your clients to take a load off their feet and take some much needed R&R for themselves!
3. Etsy Gift
Etsy is a wonder with all the personalized gifts you can give to your clients. The added personalization will really mean something to your clients, plus you are supporting small businesses or even stay-at-home-parents which always feels good!
Here are some unique ideas that you can find on Etsy:
Dig around on Etsy by searching “personalized home” in the search box. There are so many great ideas on this site!
4. DIY Project
- Map of City or Street
- Custom Doormat
- Personalized Home Quote Matted in a Frame
- Home Organization Binder
5. Cleaning Service
I have to say, our Realtors hired a cleaning service for us the day we moved and it was amazing! At the time I was newly pregnant and could not clean the house the way I wanted to when we moved into it. Enter an amazing cleaning company from even more amazing Realtors. They cleaned our new house from top to bottom including on top of the kitchen cabinets! Having a cleaning service clean your client’s home makes their moving day all about moving, not cleaning and moving, which makes their life easier and less stressful. It’s a win-win all around!
6. Custom Home Drawing
Chances are you have just helped your client find the home they fell in love with and at this time, it is their dream home. Hire a local artist to sketch a picture of the home or turn it into a watercolor painting that they can hang on their wall. This adds a personal touch and one that will mean something to your clients!
7. Fire Extinguisher
When we bought our first home, our Realtor gave us a fire extinguisher. I’ll be honest at the time I didn’t see the need for it. Rookie homeowner right?! It sure came in handy when a candle was knocked over by our cat and our carpet started on fire. Then I thought, hmmm that’s the best gift I think we have ever received! A fire extinguisher can come in very handy and more than likely homeowners, especially first time home owners, won’t think to buy one.
8. Handy Book
Speaking of first time buyers, many of them are novices when it comes to fixing things in their new house. I know we sure were which is why I am also glad that our Realtor gave us a Home Improvement 1-2-3 Book from Home Depot. It was a great gift and one that we still use today! It has great pictures and step-by-step instructions for completing easy and challenging problems that often arise with home ownership.
9. Gift for the Kids
Oftentimes it’s the littlest people in the family that get left out of the moving process or get shuffled into corners with electronics to be kept out of the way during the move. Kids can be confused during this time plus all of their toys are packed away which doesn’t make the transition any easier. It would warm the parents heart and lighten their load by giving the kids a special present on moving day.
Lighten the little people’s loads on moving day and help them feel included in the process by giving them a gift too!
10. Custom Cookie Basket
11. Open When Cards
Open When Cards are cards that keep on giving. The idea is to give your clients a stack of cards and write on the front open when… with the when being a milestone. You could create a series and include little personalized gifts along the way.
A fun Open When Card Series might look like this:
- Open on Moving Day: Thank you card with a gift card to get a pizza
- 7 Days After the Move: Include a note saying you hope they are all moved in and include a gift card to a local hardware store
- 6 Months After the Move: Write a note saying how you hope they are still in love with their home. Include a link to your website for a free download of a home organization binder.
- 12 Months After the Move: Wish them a happy home anniversary and include a gift card to a neighborhood restaurant
- Birthday Card: Wish the client(s) a happy birthday and include a small gift card to a coffee or ice cream shop
- Time to Sell Card: Write a note about how much you loved working with them, include a personal story so that when they open this card 3 or 5 or 10 years later, they will remember you vividly. Include your card and make sure it has your cell number on it!
Put the cards in a pretty little box with a ribbon around it. This will make your clients remember the cards and not forget to open them. In your CRM put follow up notes and remind yourself to call or email your client to see if they opened the card. It’s a chance to reconnect and to make sure they remember to open the card!
Closing gifts should be fun tokens that you can give to your clients at the closing table. These gifts can go on long after the closing day and can make your clients remember you fondly. Take some time to put effort into the gifts and personalize them. Your clients will appreciate it and you will look like the superstar Real Estate Agent that you are!
What do you give out at closing for gifts? What’s the most unique closing gift you have ever seen? Please tell me about it in the comments below! Thank you!